Seminars, resident clinics, and caregiver training for senior communities.
Falls have become an epidemic in America.
Contact Passionate Healthcare Advocacy & Wellness for the latest seminars, resident clinics, and caregiver training on fall prevention.
Every year, approximately one-third of adults 65 or older fall in their home, and half of those over the age of 80 fall annually. Falls result in injury, long-term disability, and premature loss of independence. This is a preventable epidemic.
- Every 11 seconds, an older adult is treated in the emergency room for a fall.
- Every 19 minutes, an older adult dies from a fall.
- Falls are the leading cause of fatal injuries and the most common cause of non-fatal trauma-related hospital admissions among older adults (hip fractures and head trauma).
- 1 in every 3 adults 65 or older fall in their home each year, and 50% of those are over 80; resulting in injury, long-term disability, and premature loss of independence.
- Falls account for 25% of ALL hospital admisssions.
- Falls account for 40% of nursing home and care facility admissions.
- Among those who are admitted to a nursing home, nearly half will never return to independent living.
Tips to prevent falls:
- Manage chronic illnesses or conditions
- Get a regular eye exam
- Stay hydrated
- Slow transitions from rest or lying, to sitting and standing
- Talk to your physician and pharmacists about medications
- Stay active and exercise regularly
- Assess the safety of activities you engage in; problem solve alternatives and adapt for potential risks
- Identify and eliminate fall hazards in the home; have a professional assessment done
- Hire help to maintain safety within the home (caregiver, house cleaner, maintenance team, etc.)
OTL, ALCM®, CDP®
I focus on safety and independence with daily tasks. With caregiver training, fall prevention, home modifications, equipment, and exercise programs, I can support you in promoting health and wellness.